Saturday, June 11, 2011

Transitioning

I’ll be in Chiang Mai, Thailand for roughly three weeks in between leaving Japan and returning to Canada. I’m waiting on a few confirmation emails but it’s all mostly planned out. I’m going to be keeping busy and super excited about the things I’ll learn and the people I meet.

Travel Itinerary 
Saturday, July 16, 2011 (Bye Bye Imabari)
Matsuyama 16:25 - Tokyo Haneda 17:55

Sunday, July 17, 2011
Tokyo Haneda 00:30 - Bangkok 5:20
Bangkok 7:45 - Chiang Mai 9:05

Guesthouse - Cozy Home
I'm renting a small room for a month because it's cheaper than paying weekly. Cozy Home is located in the old city. All rooms are fully furnished with AC, fridge, internet, TV and private bathroom with hot showers. The cost is 5000 baht with 2000 baht deposit. Electricity is a separate 9 baht per unit but I'm not going to be spending so much time there.

Body & Mind Healing School
I registered for two 3 hour workshops on Sunday July 17th and Sunday July 31st, from 4:30-7:30. The first one is a back bending workshop for a more flexible spine. It increases blood and nutrients to joints and circulation of spinal fluid (mental clarity, healthy nervous system) The second is a hip opening workshop for a more flexible hip. It relieves back pain and prevents urinary problems.


Nova Artlab Creative Workshops
I signed up for a one day workshop with Nova on July 18th. The class is 10.30am – 4.30pm with an hour lunch from 1-2. I can make a ring or a pendant. I can choose from a few predetermined designs and a teacher will guide me through it. It will be 1400 baht for the day and 50 baht per gram of silver for material costs.

American University Alumni (A.U.A.) Language Center
I signed up for private classes at AUA from July 18 to August 5. I will have Thai language lessons from Monday to Friday, 5:30 to 7:30. The centre is a 10 minute walk from Cozy Home.

Viengping is an orphanage with more than 600 children. I will volunteer for one day on July 19th. I will be caring for babies and toddlers. The older children will be in school while I'm at the home.

Care for Dogs
I'm going to volunteer at a dog shelter from July 20 to 23. The first day starts at 10, but the rest will be from 9am to 4pm. I will be socializing, bathing and walking the dogs. I'll also be cleaning, from poop cleaning to blanket changing.

International Training Massage School (ITM)
I took a look at a lot of thai massage learning options. Introduction classes ranged from 3 days to 10 days, usually around 3000 baht to 7500 baht. There were government approved classes and sketchy in house classes, 4 hour days and 6 hour days, lunch provided and lunch not provided, big class numbers and one to one classes.. Finally, I decided with ITM. There were cheaper options, but I'm going to go with safety in numbers. The internationalism of it also appealed to me. I registered for Level I and Level II, Monday to Friday from 9-4 for two weeks. The school is a 20 minute walk from Cozy Home.

Level I: Foundation of Thai Massage (July 25 - 29)
- This course covers Front Position (feet to face)
- Introduces the concept of energy lines (SEN) and Yin/Yang
- Teaches stretches, acupressure points, and proper use of body weight using thumbs, palms, elbows, knees and feet
- Emphasizes deep-focused abdominal (Hara) work
- Upon completion students will be able to perform an effective 1 - 1 ½ hour Thai Massage

Level II: Intermediate Thai Massage (August 1-5)
- Expands on the techniques learned in Level I to cover the Side, Back (Prone) and Sitting Positions
- Advanced yoga like stretching movements
- Upon completion students will have a substantial foundation of the major positions of Thai Massage and can expect to perform a comprehensive 1 ½ to 3 hour Thai Massage

Things still on my list

1. Feeding the fish in the moat surrounding the old city - One time, I saw a vender selling fish food pellets next to the moat around the old city. I didn't have time to buy some from him, but I want to feed the fish in the moat. Even if it's raining, which it probably will be everyday I'm in Chiang Mai!

2. Thai Cooking lesson - I still haven't had a chance to do one of these. I would really like to do food carving also. I have five available weekend days right now, so I will slot in a one day cooking lesson somewhere.

3. Yoga Classes -  I wanted to do this during the week to start off or end a long day, but it's looking to be impossible. Everywhere I looked at have daily classes that are not early or late enough for me to join. Some possible options are Blue Garden has classes on Sat 9-10, 7-8 and Sun 10-11:15. Noma has classes on Saturday from 10:30-12.

4. Monk Chat - This sounds SO interesting, but I don't have time to do it this trip.

Travel Itinerary 
Monday, August 8, 2011
Chiang Mai 20:50 - Bangkok 22:10
Bangkok 23:55 - Tokyo Narita 8:10

Things to do before Thailand: thai lessons (notebook, pencil, highlighter), massage (pay deposit, one notebook, pen, pencil crayons, two passport photos, copy of passport), Viengping (copy of passport)

Things to do in Chiang Mai: exchange money, pay for lodging, pay for thai lessons, buy toiletries, find a thai cooking school, call the taxi for care for dogs, buy loose pants for thai massage lessons

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sο if уou truly need to have а
superior аb belt, here are some possibilities whiсh you can
think abοut.

Stop by mу weblog; imaerowiki.com

Anonymous said...

Not just that, you can indulge in extra works
while wearing this.

Feel free to visit my page ... Flex Belt Reviews